Nifty Box News

Monday, March 19, 2007

Nifty Box update

Today I released I small update for Nifty Box, now version 1.1.1.

Nothing much has changed: You now can choose the "&" symbol as a prefix in the Spotlight comments, which should be more convient when using the Spotlight quick search (at least in Tiger).

As a second addition you are now free to choose the side for the tag index drawer: left or right (adjustable in "View options").

Labels:

8 Comments:

• Nifty Box is awesome!

There is just one thing keeping me from purchasing it.

If I move a file to a new location - I have to go into nifty box and "relocate it". This is ok for a file or two, but if I move 100 files to a new folder or drive this becomes very time consuming.

Any way to fix or get around this?

By Blogger AJR, At 5/15/2007 7:58 PM

• Thanks for your comment!

Nifty Box stores Apple Alias records to locate files, so normally there should be no need to relocate a file if you have just moved it to a new folder: the Alias record should be able to deal with that.

The "relocate it" button is shown only when this Alias record cannot find the file any longer. This could happen if the file is moved between different hard drives or from a USB stick to your local disk. It can also happen if you move a file from one partition to another partition of the same hard drive.

This sadly is a problem. I am thinking of providing a kind of import function or of using Spotlight for an automatic relocation of moved files, but this all still is in the beginning and I can't say if and when this new feature will be available. I hope this does not cause too much trouble.

Tim

By Blogger Tim Scheffler, At 5/17/2007 7:00 PM

• I store many of my files that I use in Nifty Box on an enternal Drive. if I rename the external drive it does not update in Nifty Box. It does update however in other applications - seeing that the Drive's name has changed. Any reason you can think of?

Also - a preview ability (in the right hand column under the info) would be awesome!

By Blogger AJR, At 5/25/2007 5:43 PM

• I managed to recreate the bug. I will fix this in the next days. With this fix there should be no need to "relocate" files any longer if you just change the name of an external drive.

Concerning the preview ability: There is right now a (limited) preview ability for PDFs and pictures in Nifty Box. I am thinking about adding preview for web-sites, but don't count on that ;-) I am hoping however for some new things on Leopard, that would make implementing a general preview feature feasible.

By Blogger Tim Scheffler, At 5/28/2007 4:44 PM

• I am actually using it as a sound file repository - so a sound file preview would help me a lot.

But more pressing - I am getting constant crashes right now. I have just added a bunch of descriptions with international characters like ñ and é. Would that affect it?

Help.

By Blogger AJR, At 6/18/2007 4:30 PM

• Hi AJR,

Sorry to hear about the crashes. I am currently finishing a new bug-fix release and it would be good if I can include a fix for these problems.
    For a better communication could you please contact my via e-mail (tim@nifty-box.com) I might need some more detailed information and you to send me some log-files.

By Blogger Tim Scheffler, At 6/19/2007 9:31 AM

• One comment to problem when a file is moved to another disk:

What if you'd add a nifty box specific ID like [NB12345] to the spotlight comment field for every file in NB. Then, when the need arises to relocate a file, NB internally would query spotlight for this string and thus find the file (if it is listed in the spotlight index).

Just an idea, not a feature request. ;-)

Andreas

By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7/09/2007 12:16 AM

• Adding the Nifty Box URI to the Spotlight field is something I was thinking about myself. It would certainly help quite a bit to relocate lost items. Maybe this is a valid alternative to a full-blown Spotlight import interface.
    But the original problem AJR was talking about has been solved in the last bug-fix release (1.1.2) ;-)

By Blogger Tim Scheffler, At 7/09/2007 6:11 PM